2.17.2008

Yusef Lateef Live at Pep's



From a recent digging trip, I came up with a stereo copy of Yusef Lateef's Live at Pep's LP. The cover is in great shape, and you know how those Impulse! LPs from the 60s look-- nice glossy covers with sharp color photos. The disc itself was in VG + shape. I was sold.

Since it is an unbelievably dreary Sunday afternoon, it seems like a great time to share some jazz.

The personnel on this set include:
Yusef Lateef tenor sax, oboe, argo, and shannas
Richard Williams trumpet
Mike Nock piano
Ernie Farrow bass
James Black drums.

Recorded June 29, 1964

Also of note, Rudy Van Gelder engineered this disc. Having been a more passive consumer of jazz, I am looking to make it a more active endeavor, and to that point, Mr. Van Gelder seems to show up on a lot of sets that I find pleasing.

Mr. Lateef draws from a wide range of influences and uses the oboe to great effect on this set. Some of the more out there instruments argo and shannas are put to use and end giving a distinct feel to his musical selections.

To that end, here is a track called The Magnolia Triangle from side two of Live at Pep's. That odd tone at the beginning and at the end of the track is produced by the aforementioned argol. Apparently this is a "twin piped reed instrument from Syria." It reminds me of some of the Pipes of Pan type noises that are all over the Master Musicians of JaJouka...

I especially dig on the drum break and the ensuing section, where the trumpets hooks up into the groove.

I thoroughly enjoy this LP, go out and find a copy for yourself!

Download Magnolia Triangle here

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rudy Van Gelder is one of the best. I got a really nice remastered copy of Jack McDuff's "Moon Rappin'" from the Devil's Jazz Pit blog some months back. As far as vinyl goes, any RVG productions on Verve are also famous for providing a warm sound quality. Definitely worthy of purchase when you find them, and normally at a good price.

Thankfully, the vendors I visited on Sunday never really knew that I put records back; I'm sneaky like that. Besides, most of what I pulled out of the boxes were all must haves since I was strapped for cash. We'll see how it shakes out next month's show when the cashflow is better.

Peace and blessings.

Jackie Treehorn (thetwoteam.wordpress.com) said...

Hi Cratedigger,

we just started our own blog and currently are celebrating 5 years of boozin' and funkin' by re-releasing our mixes! Since we are big fans of the things you are doing at your site, we would like you to visit us at http://thetwoteam.wordpress.com. We added you to our blogroll, if you want us to remove it, just drop me a line.

Cheers,

Chris aka Jackie Treehorn
thetwoteam.wordpress.com