5.16.2008

Back from Gotham

I just spent the past few days in Gotham, and it was actually pretty good.

I am starting to find my way around record finding places there. Some of the locals are saying that there are parking garage/lot flea markets on the weekends. Granted these are not local cratediggers, but they say that records are there.

Academy Records on 18th, west of 5th Ave, is always good for a couple of jazz CDs, this time I came away with Sonny Stitt with Jack McGriff on Prestige. The prices are good there as well as I think I paid $8 for it.

I made another stop at Rockit Scientist on St. Marks, but on the walk over there from Union Square, I stumbled upon a guy that had some crates out on the street. I came away with a sealed copy of the Baby Huey LP on Curtom and a King Sunny Ade Hot Banana LP. That was pretty cool. Once in Rockit Scientist, Robert recommended the New Orleans Funk V. 2 on Soul Jazz, I have not listened to the whole thing yet, but it looks solid.

Robert recommended that I head over to Botanica on Houston Street to check our Mr Finewine. It sounded like a plan to me.

After that I hiked over to Madras on 2nd Ave between 4th and 5th for some vegetarian Indian cuisine. The samosas went over very well with the Taj Mahal beer. The entree of cauliflower and green peppers was excellent and very fresh tasting. A litte bit of spicy burn was present, but not enough to break a sweat or anything. The service was a bit grumpy but they warmed up after my constant use of "Thank you."

The night got the better of me and I did not make it out to see Finewine. I hear that he has a residency at Botanica on Wednesdays so I will have to take a rain check.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yo. Always diggin' on the blog. I regularly reference it as I'm sure you have noticed.

I wanted to share something special with you as well and hope that if you think it's worthy, you would what you would do for any worthy content.

http://universoulproductions.wordpress.com/2008/05/19/the-green-album/

and

http://universoulproductions.wordpress.com/2008/05/12/the-green-album-cover-art/

Appreciate all that you do. Stay up and don't hesitate to holler any time.

Peace.

Omer
http://universoulproductions.wordpress.com