12.27.2005

Record Cleaning

While the Beck lp mentioned below was a mint original, the singles ranged in condition from VG+ to Mint-.

Every disc tracked on both the Rega 3 turntable as well as the Vestrax portable. I did invest the time, however, in cleaning each of the discs. I based my method on some posts from GaragePunk.com

I followed the following procedure, as I do not own a professional vinyl cleaner. I sat in my favorite chair with a Duvel. I turned on my reading light. I then took a piece of clean flannel cloth, possibly old pajamas. I dampened the cloth with a tiny bit of water. I then held a 45 by the center hole and took the damp cloth, following the grooves around. This removed the dust quite effectively. I let the discs air dry for 20 minutes or so before following the same regime on the flip sides.

The result, nice shiny discs to make the neighbors cry!

No comments: